Friday, September 02, 2005

The Round up (Aka free dane cook show)

Ok Student government or some other batch of student do gooders had organized this wee festivities soooo well.

round up 2005

The first major problem: Hey, lets make people stand outside for an hour + in September late afternoon weather. Yes apperently to the planning geniuses at USF not only did this seem like a good idea, but having us stand outside with no water ( but we all got free bbq chicken sandwiches) was an intelligent idea. I probably should have had my danger senses go off but sadly I did not.

various people came out with free stuff... free grad school scholarship oppertunities, a free x-box... etc. the free stuff was good but they forgot that we needed free water and free a/c cause it was muggy and felt like it was 200 degrees.

the second major problem: when they let us in

The purpose of the round up was to expose us to the student organizations. No one out there really seemed to be all to motivated to say "hey join our organization" but i was motivated by my love of free stuff and a sweat influenced delerium. so i collected my free stuff and fumbled with it in my hands until i was about to enter the sun dome proper when... they finally had BAGS. yes they expected us to just carry tons of free stuff in our hands... a highly intelligent matter of facts.

then... the third problem.

I like rap music fine, I do not listen to an hour plus of rap music ( by choice) and I am willing to bet that I was probably not the only person in the 7000+ crowd that was filling up the sundome for this festival. But I did want to get in early and get good seats so I went with it. the down side of the "free food and drink" which they had inside was the free food was a salty hot dog ( standing outside in the hot sun + salty meat...mmmm good times. and this place of free stuff was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay on the other side of the stadium. their were not multiple locations as we were all herded in one entrance.

the fourth problem;

Student and staff presenters were just horrid. only thing that salvaged it was the fact the USF cheerleaders are exceptionally attractive.

dane cook had a m'eh opener but then he came on stage to a hyped up crowd. The crowd well before the opening comic came out was chanting "we want dane cook" so I think he was going to kill no matter what.

His material is mostly knew from the last batch of his comedy cd's I've heard ( except i take it by some of the shirts I saw fans wearing his closing material) he had a lot of fun with the "for the hearing impared" translator there.

Pet Peeve of the night: The MC of the night ( some one who has a show on XM that I'd never care to listen to) Used the word "hetero-normative" now...sure I'd have not bet money that their were no gay people there but when you use a line "guys you need to learn to be romantic" that does not need to be a non "heteronormative" statement. Yes the context was about a man and a woman but it works in non man/woman situations.

Drinking game moment of the night: Every time some one said the word "multi-cultural" I am willing to bet you could easily get 4 or 5 shots out of it and I was barely paying attention to what they were saying..... cause well extremely attractive cheerleaders.

No comments: