Friday, December 23, 2005

The war on the MSM continues

It continues in all places CHINA

Thanks to Anti's persistent writings on his blog (http://mranti.blogneo.com/) the activities of the Shanghai serial cat mutilator got into China's mainstream media, and this was far from a unique example.

Some years after their American counterpart Matt Drudge shook up the US media in the Monica Lewinsky affair, Chinese bloggers are starting to have an impact on their country's conventional print and broadcast media, all tightly controlled by the Communist Party's propaganda department.


I think this is a very strong sign on the future of the Media. If in a place like China repression can't blow the blogger buisness model away that is pretty darned huge.

and This quote from a Media blogger in China is pretty descriptive to me about the differences between blogging and reporting.

"Sometimes it's more comfortable to use the blog to express opinions because there are so many controls on the conventional media," Wang said. "It's a different mental status when I write the blog from when I write for the magazine. I feel more free," he said. "My editor sometimes asks me to write something in my blogging style, but I can't."

No comments: