Monday, January 09, 2006

Semester II Day 1 Continued

Ok so lets begin.

First I want to say amusing story in blogging. Last semester in my World Perspective's class the PC would be on and a few times I went and posted to my little slice of the internet here and browsed about the world of blog a bit. Well seems one of those times my professor noticed my blog in the history section on the browser. He saw the words "Larry Bernard" and "blog" put togther and realized "Hey, I have a Larry Bernard in my class." so he in turn looked in on it and has read it a few times. This is kind of cool.

Classes today and the book buying situation first because that I think will make the rest of the picture more clear. And it makes a super cool way to organize my thoughts about my classes today. Yes the University tells me I need to read books to get A's and that didn't stop me last semester very much in my A getting.

"The New Europe": I am going to say not, pending how the first lecture goes.
"Globalization": Ok a funny thing in the globalization class... one book is 5 buck's and i'll probably snag that. I likewise will probably snag the book the prof is a co-author on (but I'll wait and see first how much money i'll get from my loan dispersment and go online maybe to get it.)..though pending the first class class i might change my mind and buy none.

The Globalization class was very intresting. His politics are somewhat clear, or at least the political issues that jump to his mind when he has to think of conservative issues and thinkers puts his politics out there. But he is also trying his darndest to teach that globalization isn't a political issue like normal political issues.

Also I feel like every time I hear the word "globalization" or "Manichean" In a class I should be taking a shot. Also hearing (as all usf students hear) that we are a level 1 research institution (which in the USF drinking game should be worthy of a chug) I think he clearly is going to be fair and unbiased.

Introduction to Law and Politics: Buy if I keep going to the class.

Funny story about that. The prof here seems nice and reachable....so long as you follow his rules. And he has a lot of them. If his rule-ness were just in a 50 slot class ( which was what it was supposed to be) I could tolerate it. In a 75 cap class ( which happened for reasons the University has yet to figure out) Not so much. While the class is about law, it is about law in a more poli-sci/Sociology sense. So the jury is still out on if i'll be in that class past wensday. If I do stay however... yeah I'm getting the books.

Also as I went to my adviser to talk about seeing what i could take other then that class.... the strict prof kinda overheard me talking about his rules.

bad times there.

Wealth and Power: Since the text is more buisness oriented yeah i have to.

The Prof there kicks arse. Very funny man from China. And he says the more buisness oriented direction of this course ( a core requirement for international studies majors) is to give them the buisness background for when they try to enter the job market

definately gave me more grist to the mill about lawyering about.

On the way out of class i met a girl who originally went to School in New College in Sarasota. I impressed her with my knowledge of obscure places in Sarasota home to weird intellectuals and ubernerds ( also lots of angry lesbians, as the Lesbian Avengers was last time I checked the largest student organization there)

So thats the tall and short of Day 1 and my quest to not keep more books then I need in my room of limited bookspace

No comments: